Since incorporation (1986), a foundational and integral part of MHRC has been the desire to ‘seek and or provide training’ for the members of the community, as a means of increasing their capacity and ability to manage, control and create business opportunities. The role has been an official part of Marthakal operations since 1998/ 1999, when it became a service provider as part of the Federal Government, Community Development Employment Program (CDEP). Marthakal has expanded with current services & business activities that include health, housing maintenance, municipal services, infrastructure, natural resource management, community development, employment, transportation, business and economic development.
MHRC and Marthakal businesses currently have 65% Yolngu staffing the following organisations:
- Marthakal Homeland Resource Centre was incorporated under the Northern Territory Associations Incorporations Act in October 1986. MHRC executive (Mala) who are representative of the Homelands in the Marthakal homelands area
- Marthakal Business Enterprises Pty Ltd (MBE)
- Marthakal Yolngu Air Pty Ltd (MYA)
Marthakal Homeland Resource Centre Inc.
- Marthakal Administration and Finance Office
- Marthakal Homeland Health Services
- Marthakal Employment Services
- Marthakal Homelands Repairs and Maintenance
- Elcho Island Arts
- Gumurr Marthakal Rangers.